Monday, February 28, 2011

Leaf Pins and Sandwich Bread

For the last few months I have been on the hunt for a great sandwich bread recipe...and I think I finally found one!  It is from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.  And it is delicious.  I think the hardest thing about making homemade bread is finding a place to let it rise.  Luckily, our apartment has huge old radiators that provide the perfect warm environment for rising bread dough...who knows what I'll do once summer hits!


This is the resulting golden brown loaf of bread.  Mmmmmm.  My favorite way to eat it is toasted with hazelnut spread.


Well, baking bread is not the only thing I did this weekend.  I also did some crafting with a few things from my "leftovers" box.  After finding these fabric leaves I tried making months ago (the original project didn't work out...but oh well, it happens!), I thought they would make great bases for some new pins.


The first one I made using a crochet chain stitched flower, some buttons, and two of the green leaves.


The second one I tried using an orange leaf as the base for some beautiful buttons.


I love digging into my scrap bucket and figuring out fun things to make from things I didn't think were much use anymore!


Do you have a "leftovers" pile that you create from?

3 comments:

  1. Did you bake your bread in a metal or ceramic bread pan? Did you use cooking spray to keep it from sticking?

    I'm quite jealous of how evenly golden brown it is. My oven will never produce a loaf of bread like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually used a glass bread pan that Jessica got me for my birthday. I've found that using butter on the pan helps get it that golden brown, and doesn't leave any weird sticky residue on your pan like cooking spray sometimes does.

    As far as the browning, try moving your rack down a slot, I cook the bread so that the pan (not the rack) is as close to center in the oven as possible. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have the bread baking down pretty good. When are you coming to my house to make me a loaf?

    ReplyDelete