Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Summer Skirt

Lots of people enjoy shorts and tank tops in summer, me....I'm a skirt girl.  I think that breezy skirts are THE way to go when the temperature warms up.  I decided to make a new summer skirt, not for me, but for a friend...but I think a similar one for me is in the future.

The request was for a simple skirt with a shirred top, that was comfortable and breezy, but not super full.  So, I stuck to a straight skirt style with just three rows of shirring at the waist.  I've never tried shirring, so I decided it would be best to try it out first with a piece of muslin.  This also allowed me to figure out how much the fabric would shrink with three rows of shirring and calculate the amount of fabric I would need to start.

 

Then, it was time to tackle the fashion fabric....Yikes!  Always a scary task when you are trying something brand new.  I love the orange of the skirt, it really popped.  And here's the finished product...



I think it turned out pretty well for my first time.  Next time maybe I'll do some more shirring at the top and see how it changes things.  But I think this was a success!


Have you ever made anything with shirring?  How did it work out?

No comments:

Post a Comment